Wind Point Lighthouse
Location: Site Six
Sponsored by: William D Rowe and Vicki L Rowe.
Memorial for: Patricia A. Rowe
Building Craftsmen: Club Members
Light dedication: Planned for October 17, 2010
GPS: 34º 26’ 57.40" N 114º 22’ 19.23" W
Beacon flash & sequence: Amber - 60 times per minute
The Wind Point Lighthouse was completed in 1880 and is located 3.5 miles north of Racine to assist navigation around the point into Racine Harbor. The Wind Point Light was originally outfitted with a kerosene-fired Third Order Fresnel lens and was visible for 19 miles. It was the second of all Great Lakes lights to be electrified in 1924. At 108 feet, it is one of the tallest and oldest lights still serving navigation on the Great Lakes. A Steam powered fog signal was added during the period of 1900 - 1964, this signal could be heard from a distance of 40 miles. Within the tower, 144 cast iron steps, each individually anchored to the walls and supported by a central column, spiral to the lantern room.
Wind Point Lighthouse Replica
The electrified Fresnel lens was replaced with a DCB-24 Aerobeacon in 1964, with an output of 2,000,000 candle power.
In recognition of the key role this lighthouse had played in the maritime history of Racine County, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
In 1997, the National Park Service awarded ownership of the property to the Village of Wind Point. The Coast Guard still maintains the light as a public navigation aid.